• Presentation Today at USP Workshop: EMA of Food and Dietary Supplements

by John Spink • September 27, 2013 • Blog • 0 Comments

usp  9 2013 title slideThe goal is not to develop new or better tests… the goal is to prevent public health threats.  That said, it is critical to understand the complexity and challenges of Food Fraud and Dietary Supplement Fraud prevention.

I’ve mentioned before that that I am honored to work with the staff and volunteers of the US Pharmacopeia (USP) Expert Panels and Expert Committees.  These are some of the smartest and most dedicated people in the food world.  I’ve been primarily working with them in the food area but am now expanding to drugs and dietary supplements as well.  My role has been to bring a behavioral sciences and criminology approach to prevention.

While understanding the bad guy is the key to selecting countermeasures, we can’t just rely on enforcement.  It is critical to start from the science – the food science – before initiating any countermeasures.  We need to have, first, an understanding of the limitations and opportunities in detection.  Next, we need to understand the nature of the food supply chain and industry.  Combining these two areas of expertise creates the foundation for selecting or developing countermeasures.  The challenge is sparking action.

I am presenting today at this workshop, and will start by stating “The time to act on EMA is now”.  As I’ve heard at conferences and events ‘If not now, then when?; if not us; then who?”  Organizations such as USP – among others – have a unique position and opportunity to help lead the protection of the food supply from economically motivated adulteration.  I hope my presentation and participation can help support this goal.

Click here for the link to my presentation today on Food Ingredient and Dietary Supplement Fraud Prevention. –JWS.